Sunday, March 21, 2010

Rooftop restaurant

One of my goals in the next six months is to find a restaurant that would like to grow their own food on their walls and roof. Here is a restaurant in Chicago which has recently made this happen. This type of build-up is a traditional sytle raised garden bed but highlights how easily it can be done. I would like to set up a rooftop garden on a larger scale with rows of vegetables and bee hives. If you happen to know anyone who owns a restaurant and is forward thinking then please ask them to get in touch with Junglefy.
My cucumbers have come to the end of their life after a very productive two months. This was by far the most successful cucumber crop I have ever grown. I think the fact that the plants were raised off the ground prevented mildews from taking hold. Pollination by bees and other insects was much higher that I had had previously. The brocolli are still going strong and I expect them to start flowering in the coming weeks.
I am going to remove the coconut fibre from the green roof and replace with two different green roof mixes. One will be a specially designed with in-organic slow release fertilisers and the other will be similar but with organic nutrients. It is likely that the inorganic mix will work best initially but I believe the organic one will begin to catch up as the flora and fauna develop in the mix.
Have a look at this link to vertical farming which takes urban farming to the next level. I believe this is the way of the future but like the author indicates there is a fair amount of learning to be done first. Rather than growing food on a large scale like this it would make more sense for people (or robots??) to grow their own food on their own building or balconies.
I will post some photos of my vegetable garden in the coming days. Everthing is growing very well with the warm weather and rain.
If you would like to follow a quarterly article I write for The Food Coach. Please click on this link. There are lots of great recepies on this website to try out.
Happy gardening!!

2 comments:

  1. Hey Jock,
    Your rooftop restaurant sounds like a great idea! I don't know of anyone in the restaurant business but am a keen observer of the green roof industry in Australia. Let me know how you go sparking up interest - and keep up the good work!
    Emily

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Jock,

    Have you managed to find a willing participant for this project idea?

    Sounds very interesting and would like to know more!

    Cheers
    Kath

    ReplyDelete